Friday, January 24, 2003

League of Extreme Dating Sports: Update

So, I was at a dinner hosted by a member of the Book Club of Intestinal Fortitude the other night, when the topic of the “Kelvin Dating Challenge” came up again.

A person present, with a truly staggeringly impressive track-record as a set-up queen informed us that it was a bad idea (and with four long-term couples, including a marriage or two to her credit, she should know). She pointed out that it was not a very respectful thing to do to a potential date, dragging them into some venue where one’s friends would be watching. (And on the merits of respect in dating see missjenjen’s recent comments.) I would certainly agree that it could be a little hard to laugh off if you wanted to see them again.

So our new mentor suggested what we needed to do was go out and find a date for someone else in the League. She thought we were far more likely to get tag-alongs on the basis of “oh, that sounds like a bit of fun”. I have dubbed this the Kris Kringle dating challenge. She also suggested a dinner party, not a bar, as the venue.

And she reserved the rights to make the documentary.

She also thought our present 3:1 female-to-male ratio risked making this look like an exercise on the part of three single women and weirding people out. (I’m not so sure about that, though.)

Anyway, potential problems: one Leaguer has said, “But what if the person you bring doesn’t hit it off with the person you’ve chosen them for?” I say, “Why tell them who they’re meant to ‘meet’?” keep it fun, low pressure – a way of meeting new people.

My problem is bigger. I know no single men who are not work colleagues or Buddhists. Bringing a work colleague I think is just a bad idea; and one of the Leaguers has sworn off dating Buddhists in a big way.

Please tell me if this is all going horribly wrong … or if we’re wimping out and watering down our “extreme” outlook into a mere “mystery guest” dinner party.

And another thing …

I may have found someone to help me upgrade this site to a level compatible with minimum technical competence. Yay!

Catch of the day

If only this site were real: http://www.whitehouse.org.

No comments: