Tuesday, February 11, 2003

Do you just play one character, or is it me?

Busy day in Adelaide, so here's a little something on "About Schmidt" Marissa e-mailed round last week. One for the Buffy fans.

"Don't you find it wierd sometimes when an actor's appearance in one film or show is disconcerting because of his previous performances. For instance, I saw 'About Schmidt' last night. It includes a small appearance by none other than Sunnydale's Mayor Richard Wilkins III.

And his character was pretty much just like the Mayor. Or at least, apart from the part about worshipping chaos and evil, intent on subjugating the world and turning all humans into playthings/food for his unholy desires. Not that they showed anyway.

I mean, this was a man who greeted somebody travelling in a land-based vehicle with the words 'Well ahoy there. Permission to come aboard Captain?' And that cheesy smile, head on one side, you know the one I mean.

So I was a little distracted, in a movie about a man in his mid-sixties confronting the empty and meaningless nature of his existence, waiting for this guy to turn into a giant snake and start eating people. I don't think I am spoiling the movie for you when I reveal that this did not, in fact, occur."


Check out Marissa's other reflections on her brand new blog here.

No comments: