Friday, July 2, 2004

Wrapping up in Florence

Milan tomorrow, where I stay with S, the Italian sociologist. (For those with shopping questions, see the comments to the last entry.)

The Campaggio Michelangelo has been great. Very camping ground atmosphere, but 15 to 30 minutes by bus from the station or from Santa Croce. Met a good gang on the first night, but they have all now left. The bar terrace is lively, and the view out to the Duomo spectacular (the camp ground is on the same hill, and is level with the Michelangelo lookout/piazza).

I've done the predictable things, but my favourite site has to be San Miniato al Monte, a monastery church built by benedictines. Spectacular views, fabulous Romanate 11th century interior. Incredibly peaceful, being slightly off the tourist path.

In other news, at the Palazzo Vecchio I attached myself to an Australian Bar Association conference tour group and almost slipped for free into a (second) look around the Uffizzi ...

No comments: