Tuesday, March 11, 2003

And in other news - rejection sucks: a further nail in the coffin of foreign study hopes …

Another day another scholarship foundation’s rejection letter. Dammit, this was the only Australian-administered program that saw fit to interview me.

Realistically, not the end of the show yet. There’s still an application before an outfit in Edinburgh - in fact, the guys who turned me down recommended specifically that I also apply to Edinburgh, so that may be a good sign. Of sorts.

Also, there’s the direct funding application to put in to my first-choice uni. Still, I may not hear back from any UK based funding body until, apparently, September - and that would be for a 7 October start.

Which means: (a) I have to put my back into this last burst of applications NOW; and then, (b) get on with preparing my life in Australia on the assumption I will be here after the end of my present contract on October 15; but (c) come up with an accommodation option for the post July my-landlord-is-selling-my-dream-rental-from-under-me period sufficiently flexible that I can just walk out on it if I say, find myself moving to England on two week’s notice.

Argh.

All for the simple life my arse.

At least this rejection wasn’t that painful. I had the full set of palpitations the last time this scholarship body sent me a letter. (They only send letters to reject you …) In fact, the letter I melted down while opening was only a letter apologising for the delay in the process (glitches with getting their budget approved) and recommending I also apply to their sister-organisation in Edinburgh. Made opening a real rejection a complete anti-climax.

Still, perhaps not as bad as Melbourne-Erin’s being rejected for something for which you had not applied …

No comments: